USS Abraham Lincoln’s record deployment sparks US lawmaker probe into Navy readiness
Congress opened a new probe into the USS Abraham Lincoln after Democrats cited reports of food shortages and attempted overboard jumps during the carrier’s 260-day non-stop deployment, the longest in US Navy history.
Source: Al Jazeera · August 19, 2026 at 12:01 AM · AI-assisted report
CorroboratedKUALA LUMPUR, 19 AUGUST 2026 —
Listen to this article
DomainFork Audio · read aloud
Congress opened a new probe into the USS Abraham Lincoln after Democrats cited reports of food shortages and attempted overboard jumps during the carrier’s 260-day non-stop deployment, the longest in US Navy history.
Market Impact
Representative Pat Ryan said on Tuesday the ship’s deployment — part of simultaneous operations against Venezuela and in the US-Israel war on Iran — exposed a “troubling pattern” in the Administration’s handling of fleet operations.
Ryan’s letter to acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao, signed by 22 colleagues, followed separate appeals from California senators Adam Schiff and Alex Padilla and a group of Democratic senators led by Chris Van Hollen.
All three letters demanded answers on how the Navy prepared the Lincoln for the record deployment and whether US Central Command had taken “appropriate steps to mitigate the continued challenges,” Ryan wrote.
Crew shortages of food and supplies and reports of at least two attempted overboard jumps surfaced while the Lincoln remained at sea after departing San Diego in November, according to the letters.
The vessel is due to return to the US after breaking the previous record set earlier this year by the USS Gerald Ford, which also returned to port in April amid similar concerns over crew welfare.
The Ford deployment ran 161 days without a port call, the Navy said. The Lincoln’s 260-day streak is 99 days longer.
Acting Navy Secretary Cao told reporters last week the Lincoln would dock soon, coinciding with the rerouting of the USS George Washington from the Pacific to replace it. The absence leaves no US carrier in the Western Pacific, a region described by the Pentagon as critical to countering China’s territorial ambitions.
Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth has dismissed the reports as “completely misrepresented,” while President Donald Trump said the carrier had not been deployed “nearly long enough.” Trump labelled the accounts “CNN fake report” in remarks on Monday.
Admiral Brad Cooper, head of US Central Command, countered in a social media statement that he had visited the Lincoln in recent days and found the crew “awe-inspiring,” though he acknowledged “all is not perfect.” He noted that long deployments are inherently difficult.
Republicans, including Representative Don Bacon, have largely stayed silent, though Bacon expressed concern on CBS News’s Face the Nation on Sunday.
For Malaysian business readers the story matters as a cautionary example of how open-ended military commitments can strain logistics chains and crew welfare, a parallel risk to extended offshore energy or maritime projects.
Related: Sea · Kuala Lumpur